WOULD YOU MAKE THE SWITCH?
APRIL 7-12, 2014 – NATIONWIDE
Calling all Westpac customers – after over 4 months of asking Westpac to stop financing climate change and new coal mining on the Denniston Plateau, it’s time to let them know: “It’s me or Bathurst Resources – if you won’t call in your loan to them, then I’m switching banks.”
We’re turning switching banks into a big group event. During the week of April 7-12, at Westpac branches across New Zealand, existing Westpac customers will be coming together to close our accounts.
HOW CAN YOU TAKE PART?
1. SIGN-UP TO LET US KNOW YOU’RE INTERESTED IN SWITCHING BANKS.
Fill out this quick form at www.350.org.nz/signup-to-switch to let us know that you are interested. This let’s us coordinate with everyone in your area, and connect you up with a group switching event in your town or city. By switching all together as a group we maximise our impact by gaining public and media attention.
2. CHECK OUT OUR GUIDE TO – “MAKING THE SWITCH AND MAKING IT COUNT”.
Download the Guide. It includes a table of which New Zealand banks are ‘Fossil Free’ and has key tips for how you can maximise the impact of your switch; plus we’ve outlined the basics on switching accounts.
3. LET WESTPAC AND YOUR NEW BANK KNOW WHY YOU ARE SWITCHING
This is one of the most important steps. Make sure you write a letter to Westpac AND to your new bank letting them know WHY you are switching. Download our suggested key points, below, to help you write your own letter, or use our letter templates, which you can copy and paste straight into an email. Contact details for where to send your letter are included in the suggested points and letter template docs below.
- Write a letter to let Westpac to let them know why you are switching – suggested key points
- Or; Send a letter to Westpac – letter template
- Send a letter to your new bank – letter template
4. JOIN YOUR LOCAL SWITCH EVENT FROM 7-12 APRIL 2014
Once you’ve filled out the sign-up form at 350.org.nz/signup-to-switch we’ll email you to let you know the details of the group switch in your area – including the date, time and location.
Note – If you are taking part in a group switch, you’ll need to start the account switching process now. Then you can take the last step – your final withdrawal and account closure – at a switch event during the week of April 7-12.
Can’t make a group switch? We can still help you switch another time and make a strong statement that you don’t want your money funding climate change. It would be great if you could still fill out the form at www.350.org.nz/signup-to-switch, so we can add you to the nationwide count of people switching and so that we can get in touch with suggestions for how you can amplify the effect of your switch. There is an option on the form to let us know that you are interested in switching (or have already switched) but not as part of a group event in April.
KEY RESOURCES AND LINKS
– Making the Switch from Westpac and Making it Count – How-to Guide – (PDF)
– Write your own letter to Westpac – Suggested Key Points
Includes contact details for who to send your letter to.
– Send a letter to Westpac – Letter Template
If you don’t have time or don’t want to draft your own letter using the suggested key points above, you can copy and paste our letter template; edit it as much or as little as you like.
– Send a letter to your new bank – Letter template
– Switch Sign-up Form – Fill our this quick online form to sign-up to join a group switch from April 7-12, or let us know you’ll be switching another time.
– Westpac Denniston Coal main page – http://gofossilfree.org/nz/westpacdumpcoal
Find out more about why we’re asking Westpac to stop financing Bathurst Resources.