350 Aotearoa is the New Zealand arm of the international climate movement 350.org, which aims to unite the world around climate change solutions.
Our vision is for a safe climate and a better future – a just, prosperous, and equitable world built with the power of engaged kaitiaki.
We believe in a future where tino rangatiratanga is guaranteed to Māori, and our relationship with Papatūānuku is restored so that our natural environment thrives, and our climate, air, rivers, moana oceania and land are healthy.
We believe in a future where around the world we have strong relationships and connections in our communities, and everyone feels safe and included.
We believe in a future where our ways of living and travelling happen sustainably and are accessible to everyone. Our economic system acknowledges our inherent interdependence with one another, supports everyone to live a comfortable life within the boundaries of a safe climate and thriving ecosystems.
Together we can build a strategic, powerful movement in Aotearoa that works to dismantle the pillars of support for the fossil fuel industry and deconstruct the structures of oppression that enable it by empowering Indigenous and frontline voices to lead and diversify our base.
Why we do what we do:
The science is clear: global warming is happening faster than ever and humans are responsible. The combustion of fossil fuels like coal, oil, and gas, emits carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases when burned, causing global warming and climate change. A change in just a few degrees in temperature can completely alter the world as we know it, and threaten the lives of millions of people around the world.
Learn more about the science of climate change from the experts:
Strategies and Goals
We believe in a safe climate and a better future —a just, prosperous, and equitable world built with the power of ordinary people. Here’s how we get there:
- Revoke the social license of the fossil fuel industry
- Fight iconic battles against fossil fuel infrastructure
- Counter industry/government narratives
- Promote investment in community-based sustainability solutions
- Support communities confronting the impacts of climate change & building climate solutions for an economy free of fossil fuels
- Run local and national campaigns targeting leaders
- Capitalise on big regional and international events, like climate negotiations and economic summits