If it’s wrong to wreck the planet, then it is wrong to profit from that wreckage.
What is 350 Aotearoa calling for?
As a moral bastion of society, it is inappropriate for our universities to be profiting off climate change. No NZ university or college in their right mind would accept funding from or invest their funds in tobacco companies these days – it’s inconsistent with their research on cancer. The same holds true for fossil fuel companies causing climate change and yet most universities / tertiary institutions still do not recognise this. That’s about to change!
We want all universities to:
1. Move their money
- screen for and exclude the fossil fuel industry from their investment portfolio
- immediately freeze any new investment in fossil fuel companies
- divest from the fossil fuel industry and shift funds to lower risk, ethical investments within 5 years
2. Stop the greenwash
- publish full details of their financial and other ties to the fossil fuel industry
- stop giving out honorary degrees to fossil fuel industry CEOs (and start giving more to real leaders!)
- stop accepting sponsorship and advertising from fossil fuel companies
3. Support a clean energy future for all
- provide students with ethical careers advice and opportunities
- refocus research & expertise on climate solutions and phase out climate-damaging fossil fuel research
- demand more research funding for renewables from fossil fuel companies and government
We currently have campaigns running at Auckland University, Canterbury University, Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology (CPIT) and Otago University.
To start a campaign at your uni or to be put in touch with your local fossil free university group contact email@example.com